The next dean of the College of Science at Texas A&M has the outstanding opportunity to lead a great academic unit to ever-greater heights of influence, achievement, and service. The dean will provide overall strategic vision and academic leadership and manage the human, financial, and capital resources of the College. The dean will work to advance research, education, and service contributions; promote initiatives within and outside of the College and University; attract, mentor, and retain highly motivated and well-qualified cohorts of faculty, staff, and students; and facilitate program implementation and/or expansion through research, creative scholarship, and innovation. The dean has primary responsibility for philanthropic activities in the College and should consistently display great enthusiasm for driving collaborative relationships in support of College and University goals.
- Ensure the continuous improvement of College programs, embracing emerging directions in relevant fields of study and inquiry and strategically aligning the College as appropriate.
- Encourage greater research activity in both externally funded and campus-supported efforts.
- Enhance undergraduate pedagogy and success, particularly in gateway courses.
- Increase unit resources by leading and participating in fundraising activities in partnership with development professionals.
- Build alliances with off-campus constituencies, businesses, government agencies, elected officials, and the not-for-profit community to enhance the College’s stature, research productivity, and funding opportunities.
- Lead activities to advance diversity, inclusion and access across the College’s students, staff, and faculty.
- Advocate for the College internally as well as statewide, nationally and internationally.
- Work in consultation with the Provost as a senior campus leader to ensure broad perspective on institutional matters.
- Provide intellectual leadership and a strong commitment to professional and interprofessional education and to the relevant professional communities in Texas and the United States.